The Avonlea school was a whitewashed building, low in the eaves and wide in the windows, furnished inside with comfortable substantial old-fashioned desks that opened and shut, and were carved all over their lids with the initials and hieroglyphics of three generations of school children. The schoolhouse was set back from the road and behind it was a dusky fir wood and a brook where all the children put their bottles of milk in the morning to keep cool and sweet until dinner hour. - Anne of Green Gables, ch. xv
Anne’s school experiences are closely related to L. M. Montgomery’s own school memories, so it may be reasonable to imagine the Cavendish schoolhouse as the Avonlea schoolhouse.
L. M. Montgomery attended the Cavendish schoolhouse as a child. The building has been demolished, but its original location lies at the end of the Haunted Wood Trail (which is part of the Green Gables Heritage Site)
Address: Route 6, Cavendish
Cavendish School, photo by L. M. Montgomery c.1900
The School Woods, photo by L. M. Montgomery
The Old School Hill, photo by L. M. Montgomery