Through Newbridge, a bustling little village where dogs barked at them and small boys hooted and curious faces peered from the windows, they drove, still in silence. –Anne of Green Gables, ch.ii
Fans aver that Newbridge is a combination of New London (or New Glasgow) and Stanley Bridge.
From Kensington Railway Station (Hunter River), one drives past Stanley Bridge to reach Cavendish (Avonlea).
Located on the southeast side of New London Harbour, Stanley Bridge and nearby Bayview are also possible “originals” for Lowbridge in Anne of Ingleside, Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside, Harmony in Magic for Marigold, and perhaps Lantern Corners in Jane of Lantern Hill.
Ewan Macdonald, who later became L. M. Montgomery’s husband, was the minister of both the Cavendish and Stanley parishes in the early 1900’s.