Marilla Cuthbert’s Rasberry Cordial
“Anne, you certainly have a genius for getting into trouble. You
went and gave Diana currant wine instead of raspberry cordial.
Didn’t you know the difference yourself?” — Anne of Green Gables, ch.xvi
2 packages frozen unsweetened raspberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
1. Put the unthawed raspberries into a saucepan and add the sugar.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, until all the sugar has dissolved.
3. With a potato masher, mash the raspberries and the syrup thoroughly.
4. Pour the mixture through a strainer, making sure you extract all the juice. Discard the pulp.
5. Squeeze 2 of the lemons and strain the juice. Add it to the raspberry juice.
6. Boil 4 cups of water and add it to the raspberry juice.
7. Let the raspberry cordial cool, then chill it in the refrigerator. When the cordial is ready to serve, float a thin slice of lemon in each glass.
Recipe from Anne of Green Gables Cookbook by Kate Macdonald